Sunday, May 08, 2011

End of Week Three Update: A happy apartment = A happy life?

Life has gotten a little busier with my holidays being over, as you can see from my lack of blogging this past week. Thankfully I've been able to complete and work on the Things on my list, even if I'm not writing about them!


Here's a recap of my latest accomplishments:


Thing 6 - Reach goal weight
Unfortunately I didn't weigh myself to confirm how much I weighed before I started my healthy living routine this week, but I did get the chance to hop on the scale Friday, so I will be able to monitor how well I am doing from here on out. I have felt unbelievable this past week. From my morning smoothies, to my increased protein intake & my decreased carb intake, my diet has me feeling great! Walking out in the beautiful outdoors has been such an uplifting experience as well - from walking the Bayfront last weekend, to walking 3k around Ancaster, and a 5k hike up the escarpment, I have felt challenged and energized physically. Hopefully I can keep this healthy lifestyle going, and get closer to achieving this Thing!


Thing 19 - Research my family tree as far back as I can
This Thing has decided to start itself up - I received a message through ancestry.ca from someone who was related to my great-grandfather. I haven't explored too much further into the matter, but it is exciting to thing that there are relatives out there that I haven't met yet!


Thing 21/29 - Phone 1 friend or extended family member a week to keep in touch
I decided to combine these two Things, so I will be on a lookout for a new Thing 21. Realistically, 1 catch-up phone call a week is enough for me - I barely talk on the phone, outside calling my Mom and Dad, and it is so expensive to chat on my cellphone! This past week I had a great phone conversation with a friend, that really helped both of us feel good and even closer (I hope!) It's so great getting to know your friends better, especially when you've spent so long taking them for granted. I definitely haven't been a perfect friend over the last few years, but I hope that I am able to hold up my end of all the friendships in my life. I truly believe that outside of your immediate family, your friends are the most important people in your life. For awhile I forgot that just calling a friend to chat can be the best medication for a bad day! I hope this Thing helps me to remember that in the future!


Thing 40 - Become a regular at a Pub Quiz night
Well, considering that I'd never even BEEN to a Pub Quiz night before I decided to do this Thing, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first Pub Quiz experience this week! It was a pub in Ancaster called the Brassie, and I went with a co-worker, and ran into a twitter friend there as well! Despite some bad calls (The Canary Islands are NOT in the Caribbean, despite my vehement argument that they were) and along with some amazing and slightly sad pop culture knowledge on my part (Tripplehorn is both the last name of the the actress Jeanne, and the last name of James Franco & Mila Kunis in the movie Date Night, and the last name Tina Fey & Steve Carrell were mistaken for in the same film), my team ended up in 2nd place out of 14 or 15 teams. Hopefully I am invited to go back again, and this Thing can continue growing :)


Thing 54 - Create a list & actually cross everything off of it when it gets done 
This Thing still isn't done. Doing little chores is much harder when you're free time is limited. Screw the deadline (I say!) and I'm just going to hope for the best that this list is finished soon! If it's done by the end of May I will be happy :)


Thing 56 - See the Top 16 waterfalls of Hamilton 
I'm using this list http://www.waterfalls.hamilton.ca/default.asp?id=11 as my guide. Yesterday I went on a 5k hike with the Little Clan & Darryl, and we hiked up the escarpment between Waterdown & Dundas to see Borer's Falls - #2 on the list. It was an amazing feeling to make it up to the top, and the waterfall did not disappoint. It was about 17m high, and running freely as we watched. It would have been nice to have seen it from the base of the falls, hopefully some of the other waterfalls have viewing points from the bottom as well.
Unfortunately I forgot my camera, and only had my cell phone. This picture doesn't do it justice, but gives you an idea of what we saw:



Thing 67 - Go for a whole week without leaving any dirty dishes in the sink
I didn't advertise that I was doing this Thing, because I felt like this would be one of the most challenging on my list. I have never been a good dishwasher; in fact, I have HATED it in the past. This last week I have successfully managed to do my dishes before leaving for work, and going to bed. Check out what my counter looked like this week:
 
This may be one of my greatest achievements in my domestic life thus far! Surprisingly, it didn't take much time out of my day to do this, and it felt great to be on top of the mess in my kitchen at all times. A happy apartment = A happy life? Something to ponder...

Thing 86 - Keep a plant alive for 6 months
I am a little worried about this Thing - my wildflowers haven't popped up at all yet, and after my Dad visited yesterday he told me that my hanging plant isn't one that will grow in lowlight conditions. He warned me that it would start to drop leaves soon, and sure enough today it started. I am pretty unimpressed, since I went to the greenhouse with ONE specification, and they misled me! I am going to try and return it later this week for something that will hopefully grow a little better in its location. Looks like this Thing might have a slow start!

Thing 101 - Save $10 for each completed thing (*will raise to $25 & save retroactively if get full-time job!)
I need to start this. Anybody have some odd jobs I can take on? 

Thing 69 - Complete the A-Z Challenge
Today I went with my Aunt & Uncle and discovered some new areas of Hamilton through the Doors Open Hamilton event. I was able to walk through an old country estate, Auchmar Manor. This is the only weekend that it opens to the public, and I am so glad I got to experience it. It started all sorts of ideas flowing through my mind about stories to write, as I'm sure most visitors experienced while there! We also visited Eco-House & the Green Cottage - two buildings that promote sustainable living and being eco-friendly. Eco-House was definitely the better of the two, and I hope to bring my students there in either June or next September. Our last stop was the Art Gallery of Hamilton. I'd never been there in all my time living in Hamilton, and it was inspiring to walk through the exhibits. My favourite one featured found materials used in new ways - There was one piece that had umbrellas hooked up to accordions that opened and closed with lights. I can't even explain it, but it was such an interesting concept! I hope to go back again - and am now considering adding some sort of art class to my Things list. This experience has allowed me to complete the letter D in my A-Z Challenge, for Doors Open Hamilton. 

Looking forward to attempting another Thing this week. I don't want to get ahead of myself, or jinx myself by sharing yet, but will hopefully update you all next week with some more exciting accomplishments!

Hope you've all been able to get out to enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend!



3 comments:

  1. Hit up Websters Falls. Or maybe it's just Webster? Or perhaps Webster's? Anyway... It's pretty close to Lyn & Jason (go up 6, turn left onto 5 and then there are some more turns and you are there.) You can go down to the bottom of it. It's quite nice. And it's super close to Tew's Falls , you can walk from Webster to Tew's and then past to this lookout point where you can see most of Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also... Good job on your progress :) Lemme know when you're doing your next waterfall, I'll bring Penny and can log some of my 200km (which may turn into 500km.) I'm free next weekend, if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just looked... It's Webster's Falls. It's on your top 16 list, along with Tew's Falls.

    ReplyDelete